Fast Pitch Softball Forum - Fastpitch Softball  

Go Back   Fast Pitch Softball Forum - Fastpitch Softball > The Coaches Notebook > Gameday Strategies

Gameday Strategies What give you that extra edge to win?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
CYCLONES_COACH
Administrator

Default Walking girls off base

I've seen this go two ways... You have a lot of runs against a weaker team and you walk a player off just to give them the outs not rub it in and then a coach goes nuts on the girls about you giving them outs! On the other hand I've seen some that appreciate it when they know they are being outplayed. What do you guys think about it?
CYCLONES_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
casedawg51
Super Moderator

I will first have my team go station to station, no running, stealing etc. If that doesn't work I will have them leave early. I try to mention this to the opposing HC in between innings if I see it headed that way. I have gotten both answers. I also let the Blue know so they can watch for it. Easier to make it closer and not as blatant if Blue is looking for it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
joeygolliver

It's also been known to have been used to start another inning before time limit expires. At least that's the rumor
joeygolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
CYCLONES_COACH
Administrator

Lol... you know the time I was thinking about was when we played that team from Ky and we had like 15 runs in the second inning and you walked 2 off the bases... that dude came unglued on those kids.
CYCLONES_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
tarheelmm

Depends on the team we are playing. We have walked girls off the base. Also bunted to make it look like they were getting the out as well. That does not work sometimes either.
tarheelmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Jeeper270

Had that happen to one of my younger teams that was playing up. I discretely went over and said to the coach that I appreciated the thought, but I tell my girls if they do not want to be beat that bad, it is up to them to improve so they do not get that far behind. It must have worked for that team since as some of them made varsity as frosh and the entire starting team except for one girl was starters in the big school division (AAAA) in PA and they finished 3rd at States and none of them could even drive yet,
Jeeper270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
5-Tool Academy Softball

A team from Alabama did that to us, there was no way we could get them out. I have never seen a team hit that well. No matter what was thrown it was put into a gap. I have had it done for me and I have done it for to other teams. It's a sinking feeling when it is done to you, but I have always thanked the coach afterwards. No reason to get upset, use it as a motivator in the next game.
5-Tool Academy Softball is offline   Reply With Quote